[gollem] UI feedback for gollem..

Liam Hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Wed Jun 4 08:31:01 PDT 2003

Hey guys -

We've a beta installation of gollem at UMich that's been released to the
IT community, and we're starting to get feedback re: the UI.

We've some draft documentation at:

	http://www.itd.umich.edu/itcsdocs/test/s4311/

In addition to asking for ways to hide dotfiles (already done), and
generic excitment from our Help Desk, here's what we've heard thusfar:

	"it is wickedly unintuitive how to download a file.  There's an
	obscure column to the right of the filename column, and you're
	supposed to click on the little bitty icon in that little bitty
	column.  Why can't you click on the filename, or on the file type
	icon to the left of the filename, or both, to download the file?"

	"is it possible to have the top part in a frame so that what scrolls
	is the list of files/directories, but not the headings?"

	"I tried it on Safari, IE/Mac and OmniWeb 4.5 beta.  All is displayed
	well, though some mime types require a right-click to "save to disk"
	lest it be displayed in the window (like .tiff files). It might be
	useful to include that little instruction blurb somewhere on the page,
	too."

Liam