[gollem] scaling gollem for use by 1000's of users?

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Tue Feb 24 06:28:05 PST 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:42:57AM -0500, David Powicki wrote:
> Anyone have any thoughts about the potential for scaling gollem for use
> by 1000's of users.

I think this mostly depend on which backend you plan to use.

> How close to stable is it and does anyone see any
> gotchas with using FTP as the back end file store?

We are using Gollem with FTP as the backend for 70K accounts.  However,
most people prefer to use an FTP client as it make the file management
easier.

> What i'm looking at
> is trying to do is introduce an X-drive-esq files storage option for
> our campus.

What is X-drive-esq ?  Google is mute on the subject.

> I've  been searching for other, more widely deployed open
> source or commercial products that will fit the bill, but have had no
> success.  I've been eying Gollem as the solution for the last few years
> and thought I'd check on its status....

In our setup, it's quite serviceable.  We have no stability problem.
However, using a Web interface is much less practical than using a
"real" file manager so it get only somewhat light usage.

Just my 0,02$.  I know it's not very helpful, but if you have specific
questions go ahead and I will try to give better answer.

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com