[gollem] Apache/PHP Unix Permissions

Mike Bydalek mbydalek at compunetconsulting.com
Mon May 23 11:40:29 PDT 2005

Hello.

I'm not sure if this is a pure PHP question or not, but basically I'm having
some issues with permissions while using the 'file' driver.

Basically, what I want is a global directory, let's say '/uploads' that is
apache:apache 770.  What's going to happen though is that through various other
means, other files and directories are going to be uploaded into that directory,
but I'm going to chmod 770 them all.  The problem is, the group name won't
always be apache, it could be say "users."

Well, within Gollem, even though I add the Unix user apache to the "users" group
(in Unix), and the directory "/uploads/test" owned by someone else, with a group
"users," I cannot chdir into the directory using Gollem.

In order to do this, I'd have to chgrp everything in /uploads to "apache," which
I really don't want to do.

Is there something obvious I am missing, or does apache running with user/group
apache/apache *only* think of itself as the uid/gid of the user?

I appreciate the clarification/help.

-Mike