[gollem] SMB as backend

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Fri Jun 24 06:36:39 PDT 2005

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at mail.curecanti.org>:

> By Kevin's reasoning, we could *never* include the example smb config
> in any gollem 1.x release since we will never be able to guarantee that
> a sufficiently new version of Horde is being used.  That doesn't seem
> like the best option.

You'd include it when an officially released version of Horde that has the SMB
code in it is released.  I'm not sure where you got that it could never be
included.  When you can state a requirement for an officially released version
of Horde 3.1, then you include SMB as a config option in the backends.
Its not
a matter of what the user has installed - its a matter of what's officially
available and if 3.1 is a requirement, well, then the user has to upgrade to
that and they'd know that, of course assuming they read the documentation.  If
they happen to be running Horde 3.0.X but 3.1 is required, but they don't
upgrade, that's their fault.  My reasoning has nothing to do with what
the user
has installed - its what official releases are available at the time.

You've already seen one support request asking how to use SMB, because its in
the 1.0-beta backends.php.dist.  There will be more.  An ounce of
prevention is
worth a pound of FAQs (and responding to them).  By your reasoning, any code
that is currently in HEAD that generates a new config or backend
option, should
be included in FRAMEWORK_3, because its pretty much guaranteed to be in a
future W.X release...  Its good to leave deprecated config items in files
(commented out, with a note they are deprecated) - that helps with migration
and backwards compatibility.  But putting to-be-released config
examples?  That
breeds confusion.

Kevin

--