[gollem] SMB as backend

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Thu Jun 23 22:43:16 PDT 2005

Quoting Kevin Myer <kevin_myer at iu13.org>:

> I'd remove mention of it altogether from the 1.0 release.  SMB
> support is only
> in development at this point, so it is a) confusing to mention a non-existent
> 3.1 Horde release, and 2) confusing if it is in backends.php.dist at all.
>
> Of course, its trivial to run a version of gollem that supports SMB in a
> production Horde install, but for version 1.0, SMB isn't supported, so
> I'd vote
> for no mention of it.  Too many commercial software vendors that I've worked
> with include a config option for such a certain thing, and when you ask them
> for documentation, they state that it doesn't work in the current
> version, its
> in the next.  Well, why put in a config option for it in the first
> place if its
> even available?

I agree with Jan here.  Although the SMB module isn't available now, it
is coded and pretty much guaranteed to be in some Horde 3.x release in
the future.  Thus, at some point, a configuration example will be
necessary - we might as well include it from the beginning.

By Kevin's reasoning, we could *never* include the example smb config
in any gollem 1.x release since we will never be able to guarantee that
a sufficiently new version of Horde is being used.  That doesn't seem
like the best option.

michael