[gollem] Pros and Cons of Each Backend Type

eculp@encontacto.net eculp at encontacto.net
Tue Mar 7 04:34:38 PST 2006

Quoting Pieter Bruinsma <pbruinsma at fotgroup.com>:

> Hi,
>
> Gollem will be excellent for our company because it allows us bypass the
> ftp firewall block that many of our clients implement on their sites.
>
> It maybe too much to ask but I was wondering if anybody could list the
> major pros and cons of each backend type.
I'm not qualified to give you pros and cons but I use the file and ftp
backends more than others.  All users have access to the file backend
that is "rooted" in their virtual home directory:
'vfsroot' => '/home/virtual/' . $vdomain . '/' .  $uid,
They can use it to upload files for thir personal web pages, etc.
I usually use ftp for admins and have additional access.  IMO, your ftp
backend and its configurability is very important.  I personally use
proftpd for several years, first because of mod_ldap, thanks John, and
its configuration options.

> Of course allowing alternate
> FTP client access aswell is the most obvious for the FTP backends.
> However, FTP client access is not so critical for us. And, though you
> can use horde crendentials to do a ftp login, if the ftp password and
> horde password do not match then you cannot access (unless somebody
> knows a way of ensuring that one password change covers both mail and ftp.)

Since I only have virtual users and use LDAP for most all
authentication, I use horde/passwd to change passwords for not only all
horde apps, ftp, imap, apache authentication, etc. So if I were to use
SquirlMail, I could change my password with horde/passwd.  When If I
use phpMyAdmin, I control passwords with horde/passwd be it good or bad
;)

I hope this helps a bit.

ed