[gollem] Dynamic SMB location in gollem backend

Matthew mw at robotmouse.com
Wed Jan 8 23:22:57 UTC 2014

On 07/01/14 11:54, Carlos Martinez wrote:
> I would tell you that I am also installing Gollem with smb backend and
> have some basic problems with the implementation. I would want to know
> if you had the same ones.
> The main problem is about the usage:
> *When my users have to edit a file other than txt or html (.doc, .xls,
> etc), they have to download it, edit it and upload it again. That is a
> undesired additional job for them*.
>
> I tried giving an alternative way to access their files: folders
> network sharing throug smb. But this schema is not compatible with
> file sharing of Gollem.
>
> I tested two backends: file and smb.
> Each have advantages and problems:
> *File* backend: due to www-data is the owner of folders, users can
> share them because security is taken from Gollem tables. This is great.
> But if folders are accessed from other environment out of Horde, all
> users can see all folders, because there is no security.
>
> *smb* backend: due to each user is owner of his folder, security is ok
> when they access from other environment out of Horde.
> But users cannot share folders because security of Gollem tables
> cannot override smb security.
>
> How did you solve the problem of downloading and uploading files when
> users need to edit a file?

Hi Carlos - thanks for your reply and comments. I wish I had some good
answers for you, but I think I can only agree with you!

As to editing files, I don't think theres anyway round downloading and
uploading, when accessing through a web interface. The mechanism just
isn't there to be able to do it - it's a browser limitation rather than
a Horde one. I guess in theory if you go the all MS route, there may be
some kind of ActiveX thing that could do it - but I'm really not up on
it. For me it's not really a big issue as I'm using Horde for
occasional/remote access to shares - when people are at the office, they
mainly have shares mounted directly via SMB.

Which sort of leads to your next query about file vs smb - as far as I
can tell, you are right, but I don't really have a workaround to hand -
maybe somebody else does? I haven't really tried the folder sharing
feature of gollem, so I've not figured how it works with various types
of backend.

You may want to take a look at pydio (formerly Ajaxplorer) which is
another online file manager which has some clever sharing stuff going on
- I had been using it until now and it is good - but I'm switching to
gollem since it allows my users access to everything via a single web
interface. If that's not so important, then pydio is worth looking at.

Matthew