[hermes] Re: just testing - export is confusing

Jason M. Felice jfelice at cronosys.com
Fri Feb 25 07:08:17 PST 2005

Craig White wrote:

>----
>

>OK well then I guess then that I would have some thoughts about
>
>============================
>Hermes Development TODO List
>============================
>
>- If Thor is configured, allow user to bill time to a project.  When
>Thor supports objectives, allow the user to bill time to an objective as
>well.
>
>- Add support for managing "time pools" such as vacation time and sick
>days.
>
>- Add a request and approval mechanism (for some time pools, such as
>  vacation).
>
>- Add employee expenses.  Allow them to be billed to clients.  Add
>search and export ability for them.
>
>- Special form for mileage expenses, track miles and have a system
>setting for per mile reimbursement rate.
>
>- Add "Don't know" to "Billable?" options.  A manager must review and
>decide on all time before exporting.
>
>- Allow selection of which fields to display for clients.
>
>- Separate "review" permission into "Other People's Time" and "Submitted
>Time" permissions (and "Other People's Submitted Time"?)
>
>- Preference to select a new entry mode where user can enter start time
>and end time (instead of number of hours).
>
>- The client list can get quite large.  Keep the last ten MRU in the
>drop down box, with a sixth option being "More...".  Javascript will pop
>open a window with the full list (or a search window?) to cycle one into
>the MRU.
>
>----
>above is cvs TODO
>
>I would like you to consider these suggestions to TODO for hermes -
>obviously your developer need not implement...
>
>'timer' function which would have start/stop buttons to insert 'start'
>'end' times

Added to the TODO.

>more generally, My entries in Turba center on a 'person' but using the
>entries in hermes would be more likely to use 'company' field in turba
>derived from
>object_company in sql
>organizationname in ldap
>or other if administrator chooses

Hmm, I'm thinking this might be a good thing to add to turba... since we
have a client addressbook there, there would be a good place to
configure how to display clients.  Aside from the fact that this is
already in the TODO-- this is what I meant by "Allow selection of which
fields to display for clients."

>some other things which may very well be a blinding glimpse of the
>obvious...
>
>since I presume that you are working on 'forms' from the cvs TODO
>objectives
>
>a 'preferences' section for hermes that includes...
>- default rate
>- default form
>
>a 'forms' section that includes...
>- naming forms
>- does field picking to choose which fields to include

What is in the TODO is about one specific, hard-coded form for mileage
expenses once we've added expense capability; I was NOT thinking of it
as a general form creating mechanism, which is how I'm interpreting what
you wrote.  And, we are not working on expenses or mileage forms just
yet.  We are working on 1) tracking time to "deliverables", and 2)
producing batch exports we can use for invoicing, with the review/edit
process in the application.

But, I am curious: How are you thinking the custom forms would be useful?

>ability to 'name' file on export instead of fixed 'export.csv export.tsv
>export.iif' - perhaps even an 'exports' section to predefine
>name/location/type/fields to include

Why not just rename it in the Save As dialog?

--
 Jason M. Felice
 Cronosys, LLC <http://www.cronosys.com/>