[hermes] Re: just testing - export is confusing

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Feb 25 06:40:34 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 08:27 -0500, Jason M. Felice wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> >Seems this module is still somewhat rough - it may be a good place for
> >me to start fooling around as it appears to not be anyone's top priority
> >anyway.
> >
> >I exported data - and got this...
> >
> >"1","cn=Craig
> >White,ou=AddressBook,dc=azapple,dc=com","Administrator","2","At-
> >Home","0.75",,,"1109228401","Study Time system",,,"At-Home"
> >
> >I note the obvious first...that it exports the LDAP DN and it would seem
> >better to retrieve other values from LDAP - I could possibly fix that
> >myself. My guess is that the initial development considered only sql
> >source for clients.
> >
> >The one that threw me for a loop is the date 1109228401 - I don't get
> >the number...when I pull this data into openoffice, it concludes a date
> >of something like 03/18/24208 which of course is absurd and of course
> >doesn't fix if I change the openoffice spreadsheet base date from
> >12/30/1899 to 01/01/1904 (I believe that is excel's default) - this
> >funky number is what I get if I choose csv or tsv but if I choose the
> >iif format, it spits the date out as 02/24/05 which is better.
> >
> >Seems to me that Jason had done some work on this module about a year
> >ago and not much has been done since - is anyone working on it?
> >

> Another developer here is working on adding some features to hermes,
> which I'm guessing we'll have done in a week or two or three.  This will
> have much better export method which will aid in the prepration of
> invoices, and tracking export batches.
>
> The current method is admittedly very rough.  I'd left it in a broken
> state for a while because I got pulled away and haven't had the chance
> to get back to it.  What you are seeing is what I'd restored just to
> provide /something/.
----
OK well then I guess then that I would have some thoughts about

============================
Hermes Development TODO List
============================

- If Thor is configured, allow user to bill time to a project.  When
Thor supports objectives, allow the user to bill time to an objective as
well.

- Add support for managing "time pools" such as vacation time and sick
days.

- Add a request and approval mechanism (for some time pools, such as
  vacation).

- Add employee expenses.  Allow them to be billed to clients.  Add
search and export ability for them.

- Special form for mileage expenses, track miles and have a system
setting for per mile reimbursement rate.

- Add "Don't know" to "Billable?" options.  A manager must review and
decide on all time before exporting.

- Allow selection of which fields to display for clients.

- Separate "review" permission into "Other People's Time" and "Submitted
Time" permissions (and "Other People's Submitted Time"?)

- Preference to select a new entry mode where user can enter start time
and end time (instead of number of hours).

- The client list can get quite large.  Keep the last ten MRU in the
drop down box, with a sixth option being "More...".  Javascript will pop
open a window with the full list (or a search window?) to cycle one into
the MRU.

----
above is cvs TODO

I would like you to consider these suggestions to TODO for hermes -
obviously your developer need not implement...

'timer' function which would have start/stop buttons to insert 'start'
'end' times

more generally, My entries in Turba center on a 'person' but using the
entries in hermes would be more likely to use 'company' field in turba
derived from
object_company in sql
organizationname in ldap
or other if administrator chooses

some other things which may very well be a blinding glimpse of the
obvious...

since I presume that you are working on 'forms' from the cvs TODO
objectives

a 'preferences' section for hermes that includes...
- default rate
- default form

a 'forms' section that includes...
- naming forms
- does field picking to choose which fields to include

ability to 'name' file on export instead of fixed 'export.csv export.tsv
export.iif' - perhaps even an 'exports' section to predefine
name/location/type/fields to include

Craig