[hermes] UI modification for Hermes

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Jan 11 04:02:35 PST 2007

Zitat von Manilal K M <libregeek at gmail.com>:

> On 11/01/07, Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> wrote:
>> Zitat von Manilal K M <libregeek at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>  I have tested hermes(time tracking) and think that it may be nice to
>>> do some UI enhancements so that the non-techies should also be able to
>>> add/update task logs.
>>>
>>> 1. In most cases employees will submit the time only at the end of the
>>> month. This will create a very long page and it is tedious to scroll
>>> down each time to look what he/she had entered last.In the *My Time*
>>> screen the hours may be sorted in descending order. I know that this
>>> will affect the search screen. Some kind of parameters should be set
>>> to differentiate between *My time* and  *Search*
>>
>> That make sense, and I can even see this being applied to the Search
>> results too.
> This can be done easily. The file hermes/lib/Driver/sql.php should be
> edited with the following change on line #264:
> $sql .= ' ORDER BY timeslice_date desc, clientjob_id';

Done.

>>> 2. After adding a time the page should be re-directed to *My
>>> Time*.Currently after updating the time, the page is edirected to *My
>>> Time*. I would suggest the same feature in the case of *New Time*
>>
>> I know that Chuck changed this by intention, because it allows to
>> easily enter several time entries one after the other. And it sounds
>> like this is a common scenario for your users too.
>
> Now the case is that after adding a time, the page remains as such
> with the message: "Time is successfully added". But then, as the same
> screen appears most people think that it's not submitted and press the
> *submit* button again. This will eventually result in duplication.
> It's true that a message appears on top of the page, but the common
> people won't notice it. I strongly feel that the page should be
> re-directed after successful addition.

I agree, it's a bit unintuitive. Chuck, do you have any strong
feelings about changing this?

>>> 3. Customize the CSV reports: The CSV reports are generally used by
>>> the management people to evaluate and archive the timesheet for legal
>>> issues. The *Job Type Id* is not necessary in the case of CSV reports.
>>> Also there should be options to group the time according to date and
>>> put them in a single row.
>>
>> That doesn't make sense. CSV is to transport the complete data,
>> unmodified. If you don't need all the data or need to transform or
>> group it somehow, you import it to a spreadsheet and process it there.
> Why can't we think about customizable reports, in which user can
> select the required fields ?

Sure, feel free to contribute a report section. But the CSV export
should stay this way.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/