[hermes] UI modification for Hermes

Manilal K M libregeek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 02:01:54 PST 2007

On 11/01/07, Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> wrote:
> Zitat von Manilal K M <libregeek at gmail.com>:
>
> > Hello all,
> >  I have tested hermes(time tracking) and think that it may be nice to
> > do some UI enhancements so that the non-techies should also be able to
> > add/update task logs.
> >
> > 1. In most cases employees will submit the time only at the end of the
> > month. This will create a very long page and it is tedious to scroll
> > down each time to look what he/she had entered last.In the *My Time*
> > screen the hours may be sorted in descending order. I know that this
> > will affect the search screen. Some kind of parameters should be set
> > to differentiate between *My time* and  *Search*
>
> That make sense, and I can even see this being applied to the Search
> results too.
This can be done easily. The file hermes/lib/Driver/sql.php should be
edited with the following change on line #264:
$sql .= ' ORDER BY timeslice_date desc, clientjob_id';

> > 2. After adding a time the page should be re-directed to *My
> > Time*.Currently after updating the time, the page is edirected to *My
> > Time*. I would suggest the same feature in the case of *New Time*
>
> I know that Chuck changed this by intention, because it allows to
> easily enter several time entries one after the other. And it sounds
> like this is a common scenario for your users too.

Now the case is that after adding a time, the page remains as such
with the message: "Time is successfully added". But then, as the same
screen appears most people think that it's not submitted and press the
*submit* button again. This will eventually result in duplication.
It's true that a message appears on top of the page, but the common
people won't notice it. I strongly feel that the page should be
re-directed after successful addition.

> > 3. Customize the CSV reports: The CSV reports are generally used by
> > the management people to evaluate and archive the timesheet for legal
> > issues. The *Job Type Id* is not necessary in the case of CSV reports.
> > Also there should be options to group the time according to date and
> > put them in a single row.
>
> That doesn't make sense. CSV is to transport the complete data,
> unmodified. If you don't need all the data or need to transform or
> group it somehow, you import it to a spreadsheet and process it there.
Why can't we think about customizable reports, in which user can
select the required fields ?

> Jan.
>
> --

regards