[horde] phpGroupWare + Horde

Atif Ghaffar aghaffar at developer.ch
Thu Jan 25 19:52:25 PST 2001

Hi Jon.

Jon Parise wrote:
> Oh, that's just silly.
>
> I hope you're not taking the whole "frameless IMP" decision
> personally.

No, its not about that.

Its about just reinventing the wheel again and again and not allowing
any
thoughts about how  to talk to others who dont speak horde.

Its about spending time on chora than on kronolith or Turba just the
replace
the cvsweb.cgi version.

Its about not taking into consideration that horde apps are not the only
apps
that work on a system. Moving from phplib to php4sessions was all very
good for
horde, but other apps that were working with imp 2.2 + phplib had to be
modified.

You may remember that I wrote Horde::Config and Horde::Sessions perl
modules.
Horde::Sessions was written to manage sessions between HordeApps and
external apps,
while Horde::Config was written solely so that the information that is
in
horde/php/config/defaults.php3 has not to be duplicated.

Now most of that code is useless.
I dont think that horde developers even gave a second thought, let alone
a discussion
on the list about it when switching to php4sessions

As a user, i would like to use horde, phpGW, SlashCode, etc without
managing same
information in different files and different formats or without managing
diffferent
sessions. (Single signon?)

This can only be done if the developers think openly and use standards
that are under
standable by any apps. (Wouldnt it be better to store session/prefs data
in XML rather
than in php format? Now my perl script has to do some acrobats to
tranlate that data into
a common format, so that I can use it from my perl and java apps.)

So, no its not about my patch, although I am having a hard time keeping
it up to date.
Can you guys stop making cvs commits :)

> This whole phpGroupWare thing doesn't really interest me very much.
> That sort of collaboration just sounds like a lot more work.  I'd
> prefer to just continue working on our own code at our own pace while
> contributing to PEAR wherever possible.

> --
> Jon Parise (jon at csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology
> http://www.csh.rit.edu/~jon/  :  Computer Science House Member