[horde] phpGroupWare + Horde

Jon Parise jon at csh.rit.edu
Thu Jan 25 22:41:28 PST 2001

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 04:52:25AM +0100, Atif Ghaffar wrote:

> Its about spending time on chora than on kronolith or Turba just the
> replace the cvsweb.cgi version.

I can only say that people spend time on the things in which they are
interested.  Anil was interested in working on a CVS browser, so he
did.

> You may remember that I wrote Horde::Config and Horde::Sessions perl
> modules.
> Horde::Sessions was written to manage sessions between HordeApps and
> external apps,
> while Horde::Config was written solely so that the information that is
> in
> horde/php/config/defaults.php3 has not to be duplicated.

> Now most of that code is useless.  I dont think that horde
> developers even gave a second thought, let alone a discussion on the
> list about it when switching to php4sessions

I was one of the proponents of moving away for phplib to native PHP
sessions.  The phplib dependency was causing all sorts of installation
problems for new users, and by moving to PHP sessions, we were able to
remove a major step in our installation process.  It's also nice to be
using the "standard" session support in PHP.

> Now my perl script has to do some acrobats to tranlate that data
> into a common format, so that I can use it from my perl and java
> apps.)

Well, look at it this way: now that your Perl script can read PHP
session data, it will work with every PHP application that uses PHP's
native session support.

> Can you guys stop making cvs commits :)

That hasn't happened in the two (+) years that I've been involved with
the Horde project, and I don't see it stopping anytime soon. =)

--
Jon Parise (jon at csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology