Making a project using the Horde framework

Federico Sevilla III jijo at i-manila.com.ph
Thu Jan 25 20:27:49 PST 2001

Hi there everyone,

I'm new to the list, although I've been using Horde IMP for quite a while
now. I'm no web development guru, but have recently been tasked to write a
pretty simple web application for our company. This web application will
be an interface to a database of our job orders, and will be hosted
locally on our intranet. It will be accessing data on a PostgreSQL server
(that is currently also my "container" for Horde session data and IMP
preferences).

As earlier mentioned, I know very little on web application development. I
was wondering if starting my project using the Horde framework would be a
good idea. And while we're at this, what exactly is meant by using the
Horde framework?

My objectives are rather simple:

1. I want to be able to reuse whatever I can reuse from the Horde
framework as far as session management, security and authentication are
concerned. I would rather not reinvent the wheel and have all sorts of
duplications and redundancies (ie: two separate session containers, users
logging in separately for every application).

2. I want to be able to maintain the look and feel of Horde, since the
users are already very comfortable with IMP.

3. If possible, I want to have a single login point, enabling them to
seamlessly work on both mail and whatever applications I write.

4. In the future, I would love to release my projects (as soon as they're
worth releasing) to the community. I have absolutely no restrictions on
this as far as our company is concerned. They're very Open Source and FSF
friendly, since we use quite a bit of applications borne from these
philosophies. They also don't argue much with me, and I'm an avid
supporter of FSF.

I would really appreciate it if you could help me out. I am currently
reading "Web Application Development with PHP 4.0" by Ratschiller and
Gerken, and also have "Professional PHP Programming" published by
Wrox. Any other reading assignments? Any particular tips for this
development newbie?

Thanks in advance. :)

---
Linux, MS-DOS, and Windows NT ...
... also known as the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Federico Sevilla III (Network Administrator)

THE LEATHER COLLECTION, INC.
#15 Don Mariano Lim Industrial Complex, Alabang-Zapote Road
beside Toyota - Alabang, Las Pinas City 1740 PHILIPPINES

Ofc: +63.2.842.2261			Fax: +63.2.842.2204
Apt: +63.2.523.8251 to 64 (loc 601)	Cel: +63.919.631.4446