[horde] phpGroupWare + Horde

Dan Kuykendall dan at kuykendall.org
Fri Jan 26 02:37:13 PST 2001

> I'm afraid I still don't see why this would stop people from upgrading to
> PHP4.  From an end-users point of view, there is no difference - it is still
> free for both commercial and non-commercial use.  The only restriction is
> that they can't modify the Zend portion, which I'm sure 99.9999% of users will
> never need to do.

For the end user it doesnt matter. But for developers and some admins
that are a bit extreme in their support of the "Free Software Movement"
will not accept this.

> I certainly don't begrudge the PHP/Zend team the attempt to get paid for
> their development time.

Me neither. I do wish they would have kept the basic PHP able to run in
a fully GPL form, and then have the performance improvement code (zend
parts) as an optional part. As it is now they are too tightly
inter-twined.

> Heh; and here's me trying to help get RID of GPL stuff like readline, with BSD
> replacements like libedit so that we can escape the GPL ;-)

I personally like the LGPL the best. The BSD license leaves me feeling
less secure because any commercial company can take my code and use it
to create a closed source solution and never return any of their
improvements back to me. For projects like phpGW, I would rather require
that all improvements be open sourced. Add-on apps can use whatever
license they want, because they will only be linking to the API which is
LGPL'd

> I'd be amazed if any team could pick up PHP3 and implement PHP4 features;]
> it's a complete rewrite.

Dont under-estimate the FSF. They have duplicated plenty of closed
source applications, and since most of PHP4 is open, they would really
only need to replace the Zend parts with LGPL'd replacements.

Seek3r