[horde] Introduction

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Jan 30 13:25:57 PST 2001

Quoting mdean at kcnet.com:

> I can only relate my preference since I'm not in a position to say what
> happens with Horde.  What I would like to do is get some of the planned
> enhancements into DCL, and then see where it stands.

Okay.

> Another thought I'm having is keeping DCL the way it is, but writing abstract
> interfaces so it could be hooked into phpGroupWare and Horde (and ???)without
> modification.  This means I will have to create my own API for standalone,
> which really won't be a big deal.

To be honest, this sounds like either a waste of time or a nightmare to me, or
maybe both.

> Just some thoughts....  Do you have an idea of what _you_ would like to see?

Sure. I'd like to see DCL - and for the most part, as many apps as are
interested - use the Horde framework. This may or may not entail using our
resources, but it'd be interesting to have some projects outside of our cvs
using the API - it'd make us think more about changing things, etc. And the
more apps, the more general/useful the API will be.

> As I said, it already is mostly stand-alone, so this isn't a problem.
> Everything in DCL (practically) is an object, so it's easy to rip the stuff
> out if need be.

Cool. Sounds like I ought to take a look at the code. =)

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
Entropy. It's what's for dinner.