[horde] Introduction

Keith A. Chayer kchayer at bbcnet.edu
Tue Jan 30 14:41:55 PST 2001

Quoting Jon Parise <jon at csh.rit.edu>:

> > It seems to me the best thing would be to combine the two projects into
> one.
> > DCL is a good start and apparently already has achieved some of the goals
> in
> > mind for WHUPS.  I like the Horde setup (IMP is what I use particularly,
> > naturally) as well as DCL itself--why not make them both part of the same
>
> > project and eliminate duplicate, albeit similar, applications?
>
> Meaning moving the DCL stuff from Sourceforge to Horde and either
> replacing WHUPS with DCL or renaming DCL to WHUPS?

Well, call it what you want, but yeah, I think moving DCL as is to the Horde
tree and both the Horde team as well as Mike Dean working on it as one project
would be the most efficient solution.

Seems that as more apps are combined into the Horde framework, more developers
will be attracted.  Horde apps don't seem to be struggling for developers, and
while I'm sure you guys aren't interested in just picking up another app that
you would be responsible for maintaining, adding another app can't hurt.  I know
Mike has been working solely on DCL for a year and a half, so he would come as
developer of DCL/WHUPS/whatever it gets called (instead of working on it at
Sourceforge, he would be working on it here).  Another app might encourage
further development all around by people just checking Horde out.  That would be
my argument against maintaining a separate application that just uses the Horde
framework.  I don't think Horde integration is Mike needs, but both projects
would benefit from collective work by current and future developers.

..Keith

Keith A. Chayer                                         Baptist Bible College
Network Technician                                         Springfield, MO
           .--.
 ::\`--._,'.::.`._.--'/::      "Ready?  For 800 years have I trained Jedi.
 ::::.  ` __::__ '  .::::      My own council will I keep on who is ready."