[horde] poppassd server

Tom Diehl tdiehl at pil.net
Sun Mar 18 17:16:26 PST 2001

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting Rich Lafferty <rich at horde.org>:
>
> > Er, are you sure that's a good idea? I mean, contacts management is a
> > big job, so separating Turba out makes sense, especially because
> > that's all that Turba does. But do we want to tell people that they
> > have to install all of Gollem to enable their users to change the
> > password they use for email?
>
> Well, what do people think? I came from the same viewpoint, but I came around
> to thinking password changing is big enough of a job to be seperated out. I
> don't think it should be in IMP; there are too many specifics. Here are the 4
> possibilities I see:
>
> 1. put in it Gollem. Max sees Gollem as a general account manager,
> handling .forwards, vacation, etc; password changing fits in reasonably well
> with those.

Yes, but if you do that I have to install another app just to maintain
functionality that I currently (maybe if I can get it working) have with
just imp.

> 2. put password changing right into Horde.

I would not have a problem with that since most Horde things could use passwd
changing if required. Also I would not have to install another app just to do
passwd changes.

> 3. put it into its own app.

Seems like overkill to me.

> 4. take all of the account-management stuff (vacations, forwards, passwords)
> out of Gollem and make all of them into their own app, leaving Gollem just to
> do ftp.

Some people including me do not need the kitchen sink approach. As I said
above this would require installing another app just to retain current
functionality.

> Listing them out that way, I'd go for #1 or #4. Let the discussion rage.

I still like the idea of putting it in Horde. I do not really see a downside
except maybe the beginning of feeping creatureism. ;)

Comments??

--
......Tom	ATA100 is another testimony to the fact that pigs can be
tdiehl at pil.net	made to fly given sufficient thrust (to borrow an RFC)