using SSMTP

Abid Ghufran abidghufran at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 19 03:22:51 PST 2001

We have Apache hosting our domain web site. Sendmail acting as MTA/Mail
Router is on another machine accessing mail folders using NFS on RedHat 7.

I believe that i need to have the IMP setup on the same machine as the web
server and that same maching should also have the Sendmail setup. The reason
given for this (although a bit unclear to me) is that IMP is a command line
utility and can only access Sendmail if on the same maching (using SMTP). I
would appreciate it if someone could explain why this has to be. An
alternative to this could be SSPTM. OK this solves the problem for the mail
hub access, on a separate machine.

My concerns are:

1)Is it possible that I have a link at my domain web site for the IMP
setup/functionality?

2) I dont want to use the primary domain for the IMP setup (it is already
being used). Is it possible that i create a virtual domain and this way
route my IMP-mails to the corresponding IMP environment/machine?

3) If the ans to (2) is yes, than should i implement the virtual IMP related
domain in my Sendmail setup or at the DNS level (Mx entry)?

Your time and concern is appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Abid Ghufran.