imp/SMTP wrong FROM address when using remote mail

Justin Zachor justinz at covad.net
Mon Feb 4 09:05:27 PST 2002

My SMTP log shows that an incorrct FROM address is passed by IMP when a
remote mail server is being used.

I auth via IMAP, so a user first logs into horde using their local IMAP
account, say 'Walnut at Local.net' . If however they want to check a remote
mail account instead of their local, then they login to mail as say
'Peanut at Remote.com'.  Well, as Chuck said, there's presntly no way to
specify a different remote SMTP server from the remote mailbox server
(POP/IMAP) - so it appears that IMP is using the local SMTP server. (is
this corrct or incorrect?)

BUT, IMP is passing remote_username at local_domainname in the SMTP dialog.
The log shows Peanut at Local.net, instead of Peanut at Remote.com.  What's
more, my SMTP and IMAP servers are so tightly integrated that SMTP wont
relay because there's no account 'Peanut' in the substituted local
domainname 'Local.net'. (e.g. normally SMTP would just blindly pass the
bad FROM without checking it, but since it's local, Mercury32 is looking
up the username, finding that it doesn't exist, and the rejecting the
relay).

Why is the FROM address getting munged? Could it be a bad setting in
horde or IMP config files? I've looked but didn't see anything.

TIA
Justin