[horde] Potential new plugin for horde...

Chris Bowlby excalibur at hub.org
Tue Feb 26 05:04:54 PST 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

Hi Chuck,

 I've downloaded the frame work and have started to work on some of the
basic details that I need in place before I'll be able to concentrate once
again on the functionality of her. The tricky part will be getting the
framework based calls in place (starting from scratch on this one) and
once that is done I can wrap them arround with wrapper calls that will
determine if horde is there or not.

 I'm used to object oriented programming and it's looking like Horde it
using Object Oriented PHP which is good, it will make that a whole lot
easier to work in a wrapper class that will determine what needs to be
done if horde is or is not there...

 I've also got a lot of experience working with duality issues and I've
already laid out most of what I need in my mind as to getting it to work
in either case...

 At the absolute worst, I'll just end up having a local CVS repository
that contains three modules (horde based code, non-horde based code and
the common functionality of my own code) at which I can keep updating my
Sourceforge Repository for the non-horde version AND once I get mailadmin
to the point of being accepted into the Horde CVS repository then I'll
work with that too..

 Initially it will be alot of work, but over time I might find that I can
trim it down to an entirely merged codebase, which will save alot of time
once the framework is in place....

 The one thing I have to my advantage is that the layout of horde is very
similar (only a few differences) to my own layout so I wont need to make
much in the way of changes there... :>

> Quoting Chris Bowlby <excalibur at hub.org>:
>
> > I do have one requirement that I will have to keep in mind. I have to
> > build this so that if Horde is present, it will use the Horde Framework,
> > but if there is no Horde present then it remains functional as it is now
> > :>
>
> The downside to this is that you can't use a lot of the benefits of Horde -
> things like the logging, the utility functions in the Horde:: class, etc. But
> you could certainly do it if you really want to. Though of course it depends on
> how you need to integrate with the framework.
>
> Also, note that this precludes it being distributed from horde.org - any code
> in Horde CVS we're going to have use the framework, because it just doesn't
> make sense to have duplicate code and things done twice (and might open up
> security holes - temp file handling, etc).
>
> -chuck
>
> --
> Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
> "A dream which helps you to live your reality with dignity
>  and justice is a good dream." - Tariq Ramadan

 Chris Bowlby,
 Web Developer @ Hub.org.
 excalibur at hub.org
 www.hub.org