[horde] RPM feedback ... Problem on Red Hat 7.2

Brent J. Nordquist bjn at horde.org
Wed Jun 12 05:33:57 PDT 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Richard G Konlon <RGKonlon at 1MailPlace.com> wrote:

> Well I show my ignorance (but I am trainable).  I haven't worked with
> SRPMs much and "assumed" that SRPM installs were tracked the same as
> binary installs.

That's just how the RPM system works.  "Installing" (rpm -i) an SRPM
really just means "unpacking" it into the /usr/src/redhat tree in
preparation for building an RPM.  SRPM installation is never "tracked" in
the sense that "rpm -q" etc. won't find them, they aren't in the RPM
database, etc.

> HOWEVER, the ftp://ftp.horde.org/pub/horde/rpms/SRPMS/rh7/horde-2.0-1.README
> file include the passage ...
>
>     "UPGRADING
>      The Horde RPMs are designed to be upgradable (rpm -U option)."
>
> So how does "-U" work if the install of the SRPM is not tracked ?

Well, again, you don't upgrade an SRPM.  An SRPM is just used to build an
RPM.  Unless you have a reason to want to build the RPMs yourself, just
ignore the SRPMs, and use the RPMs that are on the Horde FTP site.

It's the *RPMs* that are designed to be upgradable.

> The only reason that I chose the SRPMs over the RPMs is that I had the
> impression that the RPMs were not always as current as the SRPMs and
> tarballs.

I create the SRPMs and RPMs at the same time, and upload them both to the
Horde FTP site at the same time.  So the SRPMs and RPMs are always at the
same level.

Now, the RPMs/SRPMs may not always be as current as the tarballs.  For
example, right now; imp-3.1 etc. were released earlier this week, and the
RPMs/SRPMs aren't done yet.  But I try not to let them get too far apart.
Just depends on the time I have to work on them.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn at horde.org> N0BJN
Other contact information: http://www.nordist.net/contact.html