[horde] RPM feedback ... Problem on Red Hat 7.2

Richard G Konlon RGKonlon at 1MailPlace.com
Tue Jun 11 12:25:43 PDT 2002

Hermit, Jason, Brent

Thanks for your initial responses.  Let me consolidate your input into
this single posting, with my comments & followup questions. I have also
included a summary version of my initial posting at the end of this
posting for completeness

Hermit wrote:
 > Welcome to RMP hell. ;-)  This stuff is much too common with RPM.
 >
 > I have installed RPM's and had the system tell me that weren't
 > installed.  (I believe the intial complaint)  So I reninstall and it
 > tells me that it can't because they are already installed.  This has
 > happend on more than one occasion.  So I DO know of what I speak.  Ever
 > try to take off a small utility and have it decide to uninstall Gnome
 > because of 'dependency' issues? I have.  They are great when they work,
 > but when they don't .....

Hermit -

Fortunately for me, I have had pretty good experience with RPM's.  I
have not been burnt by 'dependency' issues, but rather have found the
'dependency' tracking very helpful ... when installing.

Brent J. Nordquist wrote:
> Richard, that's normal for SRPMs; you then "cd /usr/src/redhat" and do
> "rpm -bb SPECS/xx.spec" as root to build the binary ones.  (See the RPM
> man page for details.)  Your alternative is to just download the regular
> RPMs and install those.

Jason, Brent -

Well I show my ignorance (but I am trainable).  I haven't worked with
SRPMs much and "assumed" that SRPM installs were tracked the same as
binary installs. I now see that the SRPM and RPM package names would
also collide.  Interesting that a "-src" extention is not added to the
package-name to make the SPRM and RPM distinguishable and then allow
SRPM installs to be tracked.  I'm guessing that there would be other
issues raised trying to track SPRMs as well (since if one installs
source, you probably intend to modify it), but that's a discussion for
another email-list, not horde.

HOWEVER, the ftp://ftp.horde.org/pub/horde/rpms/SRPMS/rh7/horde-2.0-1.README
file include the passage ...

    "UPGRADING
     The Horde RPMs are designed to be upgradable (rpm -U option)."

So how does "-U" work if the install of the SRPM is not tracked ?

Brent -

Thanks for the tip on "rpm -bb SPECS/xx.spec". I missed this in the man
page since I was thinking "install" rather than "build".

The only reason that I chose the SRPMs over the RPMs is that I had the
impression that the RPMs were not always as current as the SRPMs and
tarballs.

Thanks again to all.

  Richard G. Konlon, Director
  Orinda,  CA  94563
  925-253-1177   Fax: 707-371-0339

Richard G Konlon Initial posting (summary):