[horde] Newbie question

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Jul 2 10:36:58 PDT 2002

Quoting Damien Mc Kenna <damien at mc-kenna.com>:

> I'm working on some apps for different organizations.  One is a Yahoo-like
> directory system with lots of extra features, and some others include a
> contract management system, etc.
>
> A few things I'm looking for in an application framework include:
>
> - a full ACL.

The Perms:: system we have should provide this. It's admittedly a bit rough
still, but I'm going to be doing a _ton_ of work with it for various
clients in the next few months, so it should ironed out really quickly.

> - database abstraction with support for multiple simultaneous connections
> to different databases (MySQL and Informix).

PEAR::DB, which we use, provides this.

> - a template engine.

This is an area we are looking to improve in. I'm open to suggestions here;
we'll probably end up adopting something and then making it our own.

> - something that's continually being updated.

Follow cvs at lists.horde.org - we're constantly improving our existing
framework and adding new stuff.

> - something that doesn't force me into using an ugly UI (eg most *Nuke
> systems, though they're not strictly).

The majority of our framework APIs are completely independant from the UI;
the rest is templated and a _lot_ is defined in the CSS classes, which are
completely configurable/themeable. A lot of this will also improve when we
adopt more of a template engine.

> - other classes/functions that could be useful.

Tons of 'em. Take a look at the new GraphSprocket graphing library, for
instance, or the new VFS code. :)

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>