[horde] Newbie question

Damien Mc Kenna damien at mc-kenna.com
Tue Jul 2 05:43:44 PDT 2002

At 01:37 AM 7/2/2002 -0400, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
 > > Why should I use Horde?
 >
 > That's a very vague question, and so unfortunately, for now, you get
 > a vague answer: if you find it useful.

Doh ;)  I should have narrowed down the question a little bit..

 > Slightly better: there's API documentation at http://dev.horde.org/,
 > and some tutorial presentations at http://horde.org/papers/. If
 > anything  mentioned there strikes you as useful, then you should use
 > Horde.

That's a good idea..

 > Do you have any specific needs/areas of interest?

Yep.

I'm working on some apps for different organizations.  One is a Yahoo-like
directory system with lots of extra features, and some others include a
contract management system, etc.

A few things I'm looking for in an application framework include:

- a full ACL.

- database abstraction with support for multiple simultaneous connections
to different databases (MySQL and Informix).

- a template engine.

- something that's continually being updated.

- something that doesn't force me into using an ugly UI (eg most *Nuke
systems, though they're not strictly).

- other classes/functions that could be useful.

--
Damien Mc Kenna, Married to Jen, Parent of 9 cats.
http://mc-kenna.com/net/org - damien at mc-kenna.com - ICQ: 17066133