[Off-topic] Re: [horde] Newbie question

Paul Cooper pgc at ucecom.com
Wed Jul 3 03:37:35 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 09:05, Emre Bastuz wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
>
> I´ve been reading this thread about how Horde provides
> perm mechanisms, templates, functions, etc. and I cant´t
> help myself thinking of the phplib.
>
> The phplib was also a set of useful tools, so I invested
> time into learning it 1-2 years ago.
>
> Now it seems the lib is not really bein maintained anymore.
> I believe it´s "dead".

That's the way it goes sometimes with OSS projects - at least you still
have the source and can take over the project if it's critical to you
(or your business).

> Some of the functions have moved into PEAR, others have not.
> I am afraid putting time into learning Horde might give the
> same result after some time as with the phplib: some parts move into
> PEAR, others don´t and one ends up working with multiple components
> that are not fully interoperable.
>
> All the things the Horde team has created look great and work great.
>
> Still - why don´t you try to stick with PEAR as much as possible (this
> seems to be the major repository of functions, also for the future)?
> What about the template system from PEAR ? Why not use that one ?
>
> PEAR also has a perm system - why don´t you commit your work to this
> system or try to expand the existing perm functions ?
>
> I believe / I´m afraid the only thing left after a while will be PEAR and
> not many people will be willing to invest time into "proprietary" frameworks.

One of the key things with PEAR is that it explicitly isn't interested
in 'application frameworks' - it's aim is to be a loosely coupled
collection of utility classes. So it wouldn't be possible to put the
whole Horde framework into PEAR (let alone the applications).

Paul

> Don´t misunderstand me: Horde is great. It would just be a pitty to see it
> being discontinued like phplib is now.
>
> Regards,
>
> Emre
>

> --
> Emre Bastuz                  Tel: 0221 2222 0
> NetCologne GmbH              Fax: 0221 2222 620
> http://www.netcologne.de

Paul Cooper                             |  Tel: 0121 331 7858
Senior Programmer and Database Engineer |  Fax: 0121 331 7859
UCEcom                                  |  mailto:pgc at ucecom.com
University of Central England           |  http://www.ucecom.com
Birmingham, B4 7DX                      |