[horde] Newbie question

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Wed Jul 3 08:51:50 PDT 2002

Quoting Emre Bastuz <ebastuz at netcologne.de>:

> Still - why don´t you try to stick with PEAR as much as possible (this
> seems to be the major repository of functions, also for the future)?
> What about the template system from PEAR ? Why not use that one ?

Does PEAR really have an official template? I know IT(X) is in there, but
that's not much of an engine and is pretty ugly - I've spent far too many
hours tracing bugs in it while trying to get PHPDoc to work. Using standard
code is great, but not when that code is going to cause twice the problems
that writing a robust solution would.

> PEAR also has a perm system - why don´t you commit your work to this
> system or try to expand the existing perm functions ?

I'm not so familiar with this, but I believe its tied to logins in a way
which makes it unsuitable for us.

We _do_ stick to PEAR in a lot of ways - we use PEAR::DB, we contributed
the Mail:: and Log:: classes, etc...

> I believe / I´m afraid the only thing left after a while will be PEAR and
> not many people will be willing to invest time into "proprietary"
> frameworks.

We've been around since _before_ PHPlib, actually. And an awful lot of
people are using our applications, which provides a pretty strong incentive
to keep developing both them and the framework they're based on.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>