[horde] Apache + PHP getting slower

p g pegrigioni at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 18 13:44:26 PDT 2002

I have a strange problem. I've been testing several imap webmail clients
written in php (Squirrelmail, IMP, etc.), and when i login to the server,
after a while (half an hour) it starts getting too slowly. This happens no
matter if I stay logged in or if I logout. Nothing happens if restart
apache. I have to reboot and then it starts OK, but later starts getting
slower again.

I Have discovered that is the apache that consumes all the cpu, while
refreshing or displaying the pages. The only thing similar i found was in
www.phpbuilder.net/mail/php-general/2001081/2169.php and is a problem with
the function require_once, just the same that gets slower in IMP.

Then i tried php3 with IMP, and have the same problem, i suppose that caused
by require(), although this version doesn´t use require_once().

Then I tried IlohaMail, that only uses include(), and still the same
problem.

I´m running
	Pentium 200
	32 MB Ram
	RedHat 6.2
	Apache: 1.3.23 from redhat´s rpms
		1.3.26 from tarballs (i have tried both)
	PHP: 4.1.2 as DSO module with imap only, and now with folowing
		'--with-apxs'
		'--enable-exif'
		'--enable-track-vars'
		'--with-calendar=shared'
		'--enable-magic-quotes'
		'--enable-trans-sid'
		'--enable-wddx'
		'--enable-ftp'
		'--enable-inline-optimization'
		'--enable-memory-limit'
	uwimap-200c-1.5 from rpm

I really need to fix this in very short time, so any ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

PEGrigioni.