[horde] Apache + PHP getting slower

Henry Blackman h.blackman at chester.ac.uk
Sun Aug 18 14:36:52 PDT 2002

When things stop working my first step is to ensure I get a fresh start.

I'd go back to compiling Apache with PHP statically, including the
latest versions of all the packages you need (except IMAP, I prefer
4.7c).  Although I'm a great fan of RPMs, I've found that compiling
statically always solves any problems I've been having.  Make sure you
refresh PEAR too by ensuring you do a make install for PHP.

If that doesn't work, I'd reinstall horde/imp/turba and reconfigure it
from a fresh.  I'd also stop using Squirrelmail and whatever else.  You
only have a small amount of memory, and while a little goes a long way
with unix, it's probably worth ensuring you aren't running anything you
don't need (like xWindow which RedHat likes to install).  I've had IMP
running on RedHat 6.2 for quite some time now and I've not run into the
problems you describe.

Good luck,
Henry