[horde] large number of recipients

Oliver Schönrock oliver at schonrocks.com
Thu Aug 22 03:53:58 PDT 2002

I am posting this here because it concerns Turba and IMP.

I am running horde2.1, imp3.1 and turba1.0

Turba1.0 and not 1.1 because it has the To,CC,BCC checkboxes on the search
page. I am trying to implement rudimentary group support (until the current
HEAD gets released). I added a Groups field made that field searchable from
the turba search page.

I also modified turba/templates/search/head.inc, row.inc and oldrow.inc so
that a the user can click on the "to", "cc", "bcc" headers in the search
results and this toggle all(!) the respective search boxes via a javascript
event handler. So it becomes very easy do a search by the new groups field
(or even succesive searches for groupA or groupB) and the click "to" and
"send message" to generate an appropriate mail in imp.

So far so good, and it works like a charm, except when you have "large"
groups.  You end up with a truncated (to about 3kB or roughly 80 email/real
name pairs) list of addresses in the IMP "to" field. Since the addresses
are passed to compose.php via the url, i though that this could be the
limit. So I rewrote head.inc so it uses "post" rather than "get" to pass
the info to imp/compose.php. Although this worked great and is probably
better code anyway, it made no difference to the large groups problem
whatsoever.

Then I discovered that Opera and IE truncate the address list at different
points. I played around with the "maxlength" attribute of the "to" field,
but no success.

So....It seems there are some limitations for large recipient list in the
current code in two areas:

- the url passing of addresses (which my mod fixes)
- the length limit of the to field in IMP (the extent of which appears to
be browser dependent)

So my questions are:
- How can I support mails to long lists of people in groups? (one option is
a mailing list but this requires the integratuon with a separate mailing
list db)
- Is there also a limitation in SMTP/Sendmail for very long recipient
fields? if there is then the above may be the only real option
- will these limitations become more important in the next release of
turba/imp which is supposed to support groups.

Thanks in advance

Oliver Schönrock