[horde] Changing Authentication Methods (slightly OT)

Rodolfo Segleau segleaur at mechanus.org
Wed Sep 4 19:28:07 PDT 2002

> ----- Message from chuck at horde.org ---------
>     Date: Wed,  4 Sep 2002 15:20:50 -0400
>     From: Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>
>  Subject: Re: [horde] Changing Authentication Methods (slightly OT)
>       To: horde at lists.horde.org
>
> Quoting Rodolfo Segleau <segleaur at mechanus.org>:
>
> > Understood (and was what I suspected), so the 64 dollar question is: will
> > the old users still have access to their original mbox and mail/ files?
> > Checking out the sql code, the users created in the database would have a
> > uid and a password separate from the PAM module... so where would their
> mbox
> > files be kept or how would sendmail know where to keep the spool files?
>
> They would not exist to PAM. You are conflating Horde SQL users and system
> users; unless you do something outside of Horde to change things, they have
> _nothing_ to do with each other.
>
> -chuck

I know that, I would have to create some type of bridge between horde_users and
PAM, but as far as the mbox files and the spool? Where would those emails be
stored, if there isn't a /home/~user directory for them? I don't see a table
that would store the emails (a la DBMail), so I am presuming that they would be
stored at a local level, but the local IMAP and sendmail redirect email based
on the user's PID file locally on the OS. Maybe I'm completely off my rocker
and all of this is stored in the VFS system?

Cheers,

Rodolfo