[horde] Changing Authentication Methods (slightly OT)

Ilya mail at krel.org
Wed Sep 4 21:14:52 PDT 2002

Rodolfo, you are confusing Horde/IMP which is an advanced web mail client,
and functionality of
an IMAP server. It will depend entirely on IMAP server where to store users,
how to authenticate them and etc.
Horde/IMP will just use existing setup, it is by no means replacement for
the server.

I am not up to date on uw-imap, so I cant tell you if uw can provide a black
box functionality. However Cyrus imap server
was designed to be black box. The mail is stored completely independed of
user home directories, mailboxes can be subdivied between
different partitions and etc.
To use cyrus you will have to convert your mbox mailboxes to proprietary
Cyrus. once you do it, users with shell access will not have .mail folders.
So the access to mailbox will be the same for both users with shell account
or without. You will have to involve PAM to have
single authetication source. otherwise you might end up with two sets of
passwords for users with shell.