[horde] Changing Authentication Methods (slightly OT)

Rodolfo Segleau segleaur at mechanus.org
Wed Sep 4 21:42:07 PDT 2002

> ----- Message from mail at krel.org ---------
>     Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 00:14:52 -0400
>     From: Ilya <mail at krel.org>
>  Subject: Re: [horde] Changing Authentication Methods (slightly OT)
>       To: Rodolfo Segleau <segleaur at mechanus.org>, horde at lists.horde.org
>
> Rodolfo, you are confusing Horde/IMP which is an advanced web mail client,
> and functionality of
> an IMAP server. It will depend entirely on IMAP server where to store users,
> how to authenticate them and etc.
> Horde/IMP will just use existing setup, it is by no means replacement for
> the server.
>
> I am not up to date on uw-imap, so I cant tell you if uw can provide a black
> box functionality. However Cyrus imap server
> was designed to be black box. The mail is stored completely independed of
> user home directories, mailboxes can be subdivied between
> different partitions and etc.
> To use cyrus you will have to convert your mbox mailboxes to proprietary
> Cyrus. once you do it, users with shell access will not have .mail folders.
> So the access to mailbox will be the same for both users with shell account
> or without. You will have to involve PAM to have
> single authetication source. otherwise you might end up with two sets of
> passwords for users with shell.

LOL, i know i'm combining two concepts here... lack of caffeine... where's my
jolts.... this is killing me (trying to admin mechanus and have a real-job-type-
job at the same time ;-))...

anyway, i checked into UW blackbox feature, it seems very badly documented and
requires a re-architecting of the current system, though it seems completely
possible (if i can get all the changes to the code correct - it'll obviate
the /etc/passwd file, which is what i would need it to do, but it'll duplicate
the uids (i'll have a user1 on the commandline and a user1 in the horde_table),
but at this point, I think it will probably be better to continue with how this
is currently structured and wait til there's budget to upgrade the server and
then see if it's feasible to change over to a newer structure (perhaps by then
I'll know how to tie in PAM and the horde_user table).
Thanks for the clarifications and the insights... and sorry for my oversight...

Cheers,

Rodolfo