[horde] PostgreSQL Preferences problem

Rick Emery rick at emery.2y.net
Tue Sep 17 15:30:38 PDT 2002

I'm pretty new to this, so I'm clueless. Thanks in advance for your
patience.

Has anybody ever seen this before? I'm using PostgreSQL for my
preferences database on a Red Hat Linux 7.3 server. I tried to log in to
horde (allowing IMP to handle authentication), and got a database error.
Checking the log, I saw

"Warning: pg_connect() unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL 1:
Sorry, too many clients already"

So, I did a "ps aux" on the server and there were 32 instances of

"postgres: horde 127.0.0.1 idle"

Can anybody clue me in on why I might have so many connections, and how
to have them die automatically when they're not needed? I realize this
most likely isn't a horde problem, but thought somebody might have seen
it before.

Thanks in advance,
Rick