[horde] Heavy load on server when using categories

David U. davidu at everydns.net
Wed Oct 2 13:37:13 PDT 2002

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting Jan Kuipers <jrkuipers at lauwerscollege.nl>:
>
>> I noticed when using categories the load on the server increases very
>> much. At the moment there are only about 750 entries in
>> horde_categories. The loadtime of an application using categories
>> increases with approximately a factor 4 to 5. Particular with
>> kronolith this becomes inconvenient (12 sec.) The server is a 500
>> MHz pentium III with 512 MB of memory. Does anyone else notice this?
>
> Not specifically, but I'm not at all surprised that there's room for
> optimization in there. If you could do any tracing/logging and get us
> pointed at where optimization would start making the most difference,
> that'd be a big help.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean but...

Here's a postgres dump for loading of the month view in Kronolith with a
couple catagories and tasks and two calendars.
http://www.gangstabitches.net/~davidu/sql.dump

That is from a dual p3-1000 w/ 2gigs/ram and 10Krpm SCSI disk.running
debian-woody.

Let me know if you had something else in mind. (like horde logs)

-davidu

davidu at laura:~/public_html$ uname -a
Linux laura.everybox.com 2.4.17 #3 SMP Fri Feb 1 22:04:46 CST 2002 i686
unknown unknown GNU/Linux
davidu at laura:~/public_html$ w
 15:25:39 up 54 days,  2:36,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU  WHAT
davidu   pts/0    50rts37.wuh.wust 14:58    0.00s  0.07s  0.02s  w
davidu at laura:~/public_html$