[horde] Success Story With Horde!

Taylor Dondich tdondich at majiknetworks.com
Tue Dec 3 17:03:29 PST 2002

I just wanted to write out a big thank you to the development team
behind Horde and the modules.  I've got a bit of praise to sing and I'd
like to all tell you my story.

A Real Estate firm in town has three locations.  They were using a
standard pop3 mail service and would download it into Outlook 2000.  The
owner came to me and wanted to know if there was a better solution where
they can begin sharing data together and having their mail follow them
around (they had roaming computers).  I quickly gave them a firm yes and
without really knowing, didn't have a solution that I could give them.
At the time, I was running Qmail with Courier-Imap, with SquirrelMail as
the web-end.  After setting their mail services up and showing the
owner(s) the system, they really didn't agree with it.  It couldn't
integrate into Outlook, the webmail interface was flimsy at best and
SquirrelMail's calendaring and addressbook plug-ins just were not robust
enough.

With despair, I took my Thanksgiving holiday vacation and sat down to
research other solutions.  One of the first was IMP and I researched the
usability and the demo site available at www.horde.org.  My excitement
began and I saw the immediate flexability of this system.  In only two
days, I had a complete working system for the client and I believed it
met all their needs (perhaps not one or two, but I'll get into that
later).  After visiting the client and having a huge meeting showing the
usage of the system, everyone seemed very happy with the result.  As I
left the client site, I noticed that not one copy of Outlook was
running.  Everyone was using the web mail solution powered by Horde.

I think it's only reasonable to give some detail to the site's
configuration so if anyone sees another way to better it or perhaps try
something different, they can let me know.

As for the server side, I have a Dell PowerEdge 500SC dedicated to their
mail.  It's running QMail as the MTA and Courier-IMAP to provide mail
folder and mail agent services.

On the Horde Side, I am running all CVS code in a production environment
and so far, not too many problems.  The modules I'm currently running
are: Horde Framework/IMP/Turba/Kronolith/Mneo/Gollem/Nag.  All are CVS
code.  For User authentication, I'm using IMP's imap authentication.
This kind of limits the flexability of setting permissions for the VFS
in Gollum, I'm looking for a way to go around that.  Shared Addressbooks
are done via setting up two mysql driver driven addressbooks, one being
public for the global addressbook.

My only question is, is it possible to instead of being unable to create
users because of IMP's authentication, but create users automatically
upon login with IMP, the only restriction being you can't change the
password.  That way you can continue to setup groups and assign
permissions to gollum and such.

Also, I have been unable to get any functionality of shared calendaring,
anyone's advice would be useful.  Also, is there soon to be a feature of
assigning tasks to other people?

One last thing that they have requested.  They have wanted to look into
the functionality of synching with their Palm'.  Is this in any sort of
development, and if not, can I assist in anyway furthering the project?
I'd love to get involved and I am a decent PHP developer.

Thanks to you developers!

Taylor Dondich