[horde] 98% happy with CVS Horde

Tony Earnshaw tonni at billy.demon.nl
Sat Dec 28 05:50:02 PST 2002

Hi list, and if there are any Norwegians reading in 8-bit e-post, «vel
overstått». Hope you all enjoyed your "holidays."

I'm more or less thrilled with Horde. Ed Culp knows what doesn't thrill
me. Today I got UW IMAPD to work with pam_ldap for Imp LDAP IMAP
authorization, so that's out of the way, too9

This is a demo setup for clients, as well as being my own,
indispensible,  work machine at which I throw everything. That's why I
love Linux.

I'm running CVS Horde:

accounts
forwards
gollem
horde
imp
kronolith, plus Imp gives a single problem, but I'll probably solve that
single one for myself.
mnemo
nag
passwd
turba
vacation
whups

on a 128MB (384MB swap) 900 MHz RH Linux Compaq notebook, with Apache
1.3.27 and PHP 4.2.3 (all the trimmings).

Which also has its own Exim 4.1.2 LDAP-based smtp server, Openldap
2.1.8/BDB and MySQL 3.23.52, and BIND 9.2.1 DNS. As well as Evolution
1.2.1 which shares a common IMAPv4 server with Imp. There are around 10
trilingual (Norwegian Nynorsk, Dutch and English) LDAP-based users and
100 LDAP-based contacts. And OpenOffice.org 1.0.0.

I could go on about built-in Spamassassin 2.50, virus scanning,
firewalls and IDS and sniffers on the same machine, but ...

So, thanks, all Horde people.

I've made Turba work perfectly with LDAP alone (don't need SQL for
address lists), added my own things to it, a la user management. Made
password work perfectly with both SQL and LDAP, but would like to make
Openldap back-sql work with MySQL, so that I don't have to let users
enter passwords both for MySQL and LDAP. 'Spose that will come in time,
but Openldap back-sql is a bastard to configure (even though I've built
in the iODBC driver).

Exim comes with CRAM-MD5 AUTH and AUTH PLAIN over SSL, so does Evo, but
Imp doesn't. Evo let's you see what's been read and what hasn't, Evo has
a binary-based summary of each mail folder, and mail syncronization, but
Imp doesn't.

PHP4 is worth learning properly, but so is everything else above. It's
worth going *on and on and on and on and on and on* until things work.

I'll get back to Ed (only via the list) about not being able to share
notes or calendars - that's the 1 that doesn't work yet. The rest's
Openldap back-sql, that isn't a Horde problem at all, but an Openldap
problem.

Fine new year to all, and again, thanks to everyone. And to Eric
Rostetter: I kept my word, for the most part, and found things out for
myself. I'll endeavor to do the same in 2003.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw