[horde] intro & horde version questions

Hans Lellelid hans at appliedsec.com
Mon Jan 6 07:50:19 PST 2003

Hi --

I wanted first off to introduce myself.  I'm interested in helping out
with Horde framework development.  I have been studying and working with
a few of the application architectures out there -- and have been very
keen on Horde (and have always felt humbled by the fine code that makes
up this package).  I've also been managing / lead developer for PHlexDB
(phlexdb.org), a PHP/MySQL content management framework; PHlexDB doesn't
have any direct application to Horde, I don't think, since its strenght
lies at the SQL-level (building queries, etc.) and Horde seems to be
very much datastore independent (which I think is a huge asset).  That
said, I'm interested down the road in working on Giapeto, or an
unrelated CMF/CMS solution for Horde.

Most immediately, I am looking to use Horde in a re-architecting of a
fairly large private-messaging and discussions application.  I don't
think that any of the existing modules will meet my needs -- but I think
the framework would provide lots of time-saving benefits.  I'm trying to
figure out which version of Horde I should use.  I see a pretty big
discrepancy between Horde 2.1 and the CVS repository.  Frankly, I really
like some of the stuff that has been added to CVS, but am not sure how
well the CVS version works (or how much it will change, etc.).  I feel,
however, that I could provide help with the Horde framework development
if I were using the latest version.

My main concern is choosing a platform that will give me the greatest
Permissions and Auth flexibilty.  I need to implement a hybrid Role and
Identity-based permission system that is fairly complex.  The
authentication will be against a SQL db, but I need the ability to have
multi-part authentication (e.g. IP addr & username/password, etc.).
 Additionally, there will be several modules [horde applicaitons?]
(private messaging, and discussions to start) that all need to share
this common auth/permissions framework.  Does the newer Horde provide
significant advantages for complex auth/perm work? (I notice the Share
class which seems like it might be very useful.)

Also, are there developer / theory docs for the new code?  I've read
most (all?) of the presentations in /papers but still feel pretty low on
the learning curve.

Thanks!
Hans