[horde] intro & horde version questions

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Mon Jan 6 08:13:15 PST 2003

Quoting Hans Lellelid <hans at appliedsec.com>:

> I wanted first off to introduce myself.  I'm interested in helping out
> with Horde framework development.

Great! Welcome to the lists.

> That said, I'm interested down the road in working on Giapeto, or an
> unrelated CMF/CMS solution for Horde.

That would be fabulous - I think there's a lot of potential there, and would
love to have more time to work on it myself.

> Frankly, I really like some of the stuff that has been added to CVS, but
> am not sure how well the CVS version works (or how much it will change,
> etc.).  I feel, however, that I could provide help with the Horde
> framework development if I were using the latest version.

I would really suggest going with CVS. You are looking for a lot of
permissions stuff, and that's only really in CVS. The code is relatively
stable - there's been some upheaval lately, but it all shakes out pretty
quickly, and a lot of people, myself includeded, use it as their daily
groupware/pim app. And you are correct that you'd be much more able to help
with framework development if you were using HEAD.

> My main concern is choosing a platform that will give me the greatest
> Permissions and Auth flexibilty.  I need to implement a hybrid Role and
> Identity-based permission system that is fairly complex.  The
> authentication will be against a SQL db, but I need the ability to have
> multi-part authentication (e.g. IP addr & username/password, etc.).
>  Additionally, there will be several modules [horde applicaitons?]
> (private messaging, and discussions to start) that all need to share
> this common auth/permissions framework.  Does the newer Horde provide
> significant advantages for complex auth/perm work? (I notice the Share
> class which seems like it might be very useful.)

Yes, definitely.

> Also, are there developer / theory docs for the new code?  I've read
> most (all?) of the presentations in /papers but still feel pretty low on
> the learning curve.

What we have right now is the /papers stuff, the API docs at
http://dev.horde.org/, and a few work files in the hordedoc cvs module
(under developer - http://cvs.horde.org/cvs.php/hordedoc/developer/work/).
Otherwise, there's this list, and the irc channel (http://horde.org/irc.php).

Welcome,
-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"Block Island Ferry - Fastest Route to Downtown"