[horde] enable UTF-8 then cause these problems

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Jan 21 09:12:30 PST 2003

Zitat von Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> > Just to make it clear: This of causes only problems if the user
> switches
> > between languages with _different_ charsets that are _not_ ascii.
>
> No comment on the coding issue, but just a reinforcment of the need.
>
> A student who works for me is asian.  He prefers to read his mail in
> zh_TW.  When he sits down at a machine/browser that supports zh_TW (which
> not all do), then he logs into Horde with zh_TW.  When he sits down at
> a machine/browser that doesn't support zh_TW, which happens often, he
> logs into Horde with English.  In both cases, he would like to see as
> much
> as possible presented to him in the correct charset.

That's why I excluded ascii from being problematic. English can always be
used savely.

But I got the point. The user should always get the same data, no matter
what client he uses. Even if some of his data isn't compatible with the
system's backend. It won't be always then, no matter which browser he choose
to access it.

Jan.