[horde] Using curl wrappers instead of fopen

Daniel Reich me at danielreich.com
Tue Jan 21 12:59:44 PST 2003

I guess what I'm looking to do here is standardize the way URLs are
fetched within the Horde framework.  I did look at Snoopy btw but I
looked at the library included with Klutz.  It does have some
interesting things.  My thought is that it would be nice if I could set
the proxy (or other pertinent connection information) in one place and
then have all the modules take advantage of it.  It wouldn't be very
difficult to write and I'd be happy to do so if there is consensus on
going down that path.  I could either modify Snoopy or write a new class
from scratch.  I do think modifying snoopy is probably a better path.
Once that's in place I could go around to the various modules and modify
them to use this new method.

Right now I have to go and modify each module to utilize the proxy which
i'd like to get away from.  The only scary part about snoopy is that it
utilizes the command line curl instead of the PHP extension (from what I
gather curl extension isn't stable on all builds).  But I don't see any
attempts to escape characters in the actual exec call.  From the looks
of it, this is only a concern for doing https calls.  HTTP requests
don't make use of curl.  (at least in v1.0, Horde includes v0.94).  I'm
gonna see if I can get clarification on this from the developers of
Snoopy.

Cheers

-dr