[horde] passwd-2.1 install problem

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 31 09:05:22 PST 2003

Quoting Admin-Stress <meerkapot at yahoo.com>:

> I just installed passwd-2.1, but I got little problem with my setup, if you
> could help me.

There is a sork mailing list you might want to join/use also.

> I want to access imp via http://webmail.example.com/
>
> So, I installed horde + imp like this :
>
>    /home/www/webmail/horde
>    /home/www/webmail/horde/imp
>
> And apache like this :
>
> <VirtualHost *>
>    ServerName webmail.example.com
>    Alias /imp/ /home/www/webmail/horde/imp/
>    Alias /horde/ /home/www/webmail/horde/
>    DocumentRoot /home/www/webmail/horde/imp
>    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/www/webmail/cgi-bin/
>    ErrorLog /home/www/webmail/logs/error_log
>    CustomLog /home/www/webmail/logs/access_log common
> </VirtualHost>

[...]

> I tried adding in apache vhost :
>
>     Alias /horde/passwd/ /home/www/webmail/horde/passwd/
>
> But still, I got that forbidden problem.

You will need that line, as it is outside of your document root.

Did you restart the web server after adding that?

If so, it may be a problem with your default permissions in your apache
configuration. That is, you usually set the / (default, whole site) permissions
really tight, then relax them for your document root or specific areas.

Since passwd isn't in your document root, it gets the most restrictive
permissions.

> Please if you can help me with this, I was looking for any clues via google,
> played arround with
> "Alias" ... no luck :(

It is covered in the FAQ at http://www.horde.org/faq/admin/ (about aliases,
document roots, cookie_paths, etc).  But in your case the FAQ may not be
of enough help (or maybe it is, who knows).

What is in your apache error log when you try to access the passwd page?

And do your files in the passwd/ directory have file system permissions
set right for the web server to access them (including the passwd/ directory
iteself)?

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics