[horde] Questions about INSTALL doc

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Sun Feb 2 22:43:44 PST 2003

Quoting Brenda Bell <k15a-list-horde at theotherbell.com>:

> I'd like to take Horde for a spin, but am having some trouble
> understanding a few things in the INSTALL doc.
>
> In item #2 under PREREQUISITES, it says "be sure to build PHP as a
> library with the --with-apache or --with-apxs options".  That's easy...
> I did exactly that.

This is for using Horde/IMP with your web server.

> Then, in item #3 after the list of required PEAR modules, it says "This
> method requires that your PHP has been compiled as a static binary" and
> "recompile PHP without ... -with-apache and --with-apxs".

This is only to use the "pear install" command that it gives to install
pear modules.

> What "method" is it talking about?  Am I supposed to compile PHP as a
> binary or not?

I recommend compiling it both as an apache module and as a standalone
binary.  The apache module is what is prefered to actually use Horde/IMP.
The standalone is useful for some support scripts, debugging (e.g.
"php -l file.php"), and for pear module installation.

> I'm primarily interested in IMP but want to keep an eye on the other
> applications as I have recently migrated from Microsoft Exchange to Open
> Source alternatives.  I'd really appreciate any assistance in clearing
> up my confusion.

All you need to run Horde/IMP is the apache php module.  You can do
everything else without a php standalone binary -- it is just often easier
or more convenient if you have the standalone binary also.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!