[horde] oci8, blobs and horde_prefs

Liam Hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Thu Feb 13 12:08:29 PST 2003

> This is what horde/lib/SQL.php is for. This all works, or did when I tested
> it on my laptop when I did some of the original VFS work.

In setting up the horde_prefs table, in MySQL the table definition calls
for pref_value to be a TEXT field.  In our installation (oracle 8.1.7),
we'd originally used a VARCHAR2(4000), which, well, is less than optimal.

We then switched pref_value to be a CLOB, but still run into the Oracle
client's "string to long" error" when we try to insert longer strings (oh,
say, IMP filter rules?) into pref_values.  Oracle seems to let you use
CLOB fields like VARCHAR2(4000)s as long as the string is less than 4000
characters, otherwise you need to use their LOB functions.

So... here's my question - looking at horde/lib/SQL.php, it looks like the
non-oracle cases are just normal SQL... how feasible / likely is it that
you guys will switch handling of the pref_value field to the using LOB
wrapper from lib/SQL.php do to data retrieval / manipulation?

I'm a little behind on the CVS release, but it doesn't look like
lib/Prefs/sql.php does this (yet).

Liam