[horde] p7m

Cliff Green green at UMDNJ.EDU
Wed Mar 19 22:57:07 PST 2003

Quoting Mike Cochrane <mike at graftonhall.co.nz>:

> Because some mail clients set them as attachments and not inline. IMP honours
> this as specified in the RFC.
>
> Check the headers in the message source and see what it shows.
>
> - Mike :-)
>
> > ----- Message from dimante at dimante.net ---------
> >     Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:35:34 -0600
> >     From: dimante at dimante.net
> >  Subject: [horde] p7m
> >       To: Horde list <horde at lists.horde.org>
> >
> > Hello,
> >      Why do signed plain text email messages show up as smime.p7m and will
> > not show up inline in IMP?  If i click on the attachment I can read it
> > through IMP.  Just wondering because one of the things that will put IMP
> > over the top would be the ability to read these inline...
> > Regards,
> > John Gates

Like Mike says, it sounds like you're seeing signed messages with a content-type
of "application/pkcs7-mime", with parameters "smime-type=signed-data;
name=smime.p7m"; this is the enveloped format for signed messages, in which all
data is enveloped and not in clear text.  The other type, in a multipart/signed
mime body, has the signature detached from the message text, so it appears like
the message is "inline", even though it's also an attachment of type text/plain.

I haven't received any such signed messages, but I wonder if you could display
them "inline" if you added 'application/pkcs7-mime' to the
$mime_drivers['imp']['pkcs7']['handles'] array in imp/config/mime_drivers.php,
and set [inline] to true?  I wonder if you would also have to add it to the
switch in IME/Viewer/pkcs7.php, too.  Maybe not, seeing as you can view those
messages by clicking on them.

Out of curiosity, what client is sending signed messages of this type?

Cliff Green
Academic Computing Services - UMDNJ
Signature under NDA