[horde] Fwd: Concerns

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 9 17:13:23 PDT 2003

Quoting Bill Atkins <metam at batkins.com>:

> While gettext is a nice feature, for most Horde users, it's hardly a
> necessary feature.

Nice of you to speak for every one else in the world.

> gettext should definitely be included in Horde, but it should be an
> option as opposed to a requirement.

It would be a tremendous coding and performance burden to code it as an option.
You would need to check for each phrase you output if it can be localized or
not, which would make for some real poor peformance.

> Also, the domxml module is required to use the Configuration app, but my host
> doesn't want to install it because they said that it's considered
> experimental by PHP.

This is only for CVS HEAD applications.  And you could, in theory, use
Horde and the apps without it by doing a hand configuration.

As for the rest of your comment, that is between you and your host.

> It should also be possible to use Horde without domxml.  Perhaps the

AFAIK it is, you just can't run some of the admin functions.

> conf.php files it generates could be included in all distributions.

The whole point was to get rid of these files, since they were a source
of confusion and mistakes (typos) and provide a simple, web-based
configuration method instead.  This was in part due to demand for a
simple, web-based configuration script by people on the mailing lists.

> I know
> that Horde itself comes with conf.php.dist, but this is not true of the other
> snapshots I've seen.

Then you are looking at the CVS HEAD snapshots...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!