[horde] question out performance

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 10 20:44:07 PDT 2003

Quoting Ryan McDonald <ryan at rlmnet.net>:

> I've been reading the other perfomance thread but I really can't answer
> my question from that thread so here goes..  In my situation, would php
> accelerator or imap proxy help me?

Yes, but how much is not known (you'd have to try it and see if the benefits
are significant or not).  They would not address the issue of users with
very large mailboxes.  It might speed them up a bit, but not much.

> It seems that imap proxy would only
> benefit me if my imapd was running on some other box.

No, it helps in any case.  Normally IMP must login and logout for almost
every operation it does (there are a few exceptions).  The imapproxy removes
all these logins/logouts by keeping a persistent connection.  So it increases
performance by avoiding the authentication overhead of your imap server each
operation.

> Would php
> accelerator cache my reads of those massive (up to 100mb) flat files?

No.  But it would make your php code run faster.  This might be significant
for some operations, and not for other operations.  But it won't cache the
actual mail files.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics