[horde] Horde upgrading procedure enhancement

agullo at comtenidos.com agullo at comtenidos.com
Thu Jul 10 06:17:28 PDT 2003

Hi,

I'm on the way to upgrade a customized horde 2.1/imp 3.1 setup to
current horde/imp stable releases (previous version from rpm packages,
then customized, now upgrading from fresh rpms). I have some custom
hooks and templates, but most of our customization work is on config files.

Consolidating/patching our configuration with new dist config files is a
tedious task if done by hand, and unreliable if done thru any scripts.
Every future upgrade would require another patching cycle, and so on.

So I guess it'd be a nice idea to enable local specific configuration
files, so that you can install new releases without overwriting custom
local config.

You can safely overwrite release default config while installing new
releases. When Horde is executed, distro conf files would also include
local conf files. Any settings/params would be redefined from local conf
if needed. Future releases might safely add new settings and features.
If those new settings are not present on custom files, distro defaults
would safely apply until local specific settings are added to locally
include_once'd files.

I'm already adding include directives to mainstream config files to load
my settings and test it that way, but I wonder if it's already enabled
on cvs branch or planned for next versions, just in case this idea may
help versions management

Regards