[horde] Imp, Turba et al vs. Exchange 2000

Diego Rivera lrivera at racsa.co.cr
Sat Aug 2 20:23:32 PDT 2003

Hi all!

A customer of mine is interested in using IMP/Turba/Horde/etc as their
webmail interface to their exchange server.

They've chosen to NOT go with OWA because it would imply exposing an IIS
box to the internet, and we know how that usually ends :)

Thus, the deal is simple: I know that I can set up IMAP on Exchange to
get mail, but my question is as to the address books.

It's my understanding that the shared (centralized?) AB's are stored in
ActiveDirectory - are they not?  Regardless of whether this is the case,
has anyone tried to get Turba to work with this?

The idea is to lose as little functionality as possible, but use
Horde/Imp/Turba for e-mail.

The reason being that they eventually want to get rid of Exchange (not
now, but later down the road), and not have to switch web interfaces
radically (as in OWA to something else).

I've used Imp/Horde/etc.. for a while and I'm happy with it - so I
recommended it and it is already deployed (on an ancillary mail server
they have).

Any thoughts and/or experiences?

Best

* Diego Rivera                                            *
* "The Disease: Windows, the cure: Linux"                 *
* E-mail: lrivera<AT>racsa<DOT>co<DOT>cr                  *
* Replace: <AT>='@', <DOT>='.'                            *
* GPG: BE59 5469 C696 C80D FF5C  5926 0B36 F8FF DA98 62AD *
* GPG Public Key avaliable at: http://pgp.mit.edu         *