[horde] Two problems : language and TOS on first login

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Wed Sep 3 05:49:03 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 11:21:08PM +0200, Jan Schneider wrote:
> > Would it be a good idea for the login page to be in the default locale
> > as defined by $nls['defaults']['language'] in horde/config/nls.php ?
>
> It will if we can't determine the preferred language from the browser.

I disagree.  I think the site operator should be able to control in
which language the login page is displayed.  This is not only a matter
of control, but also of client expectancy.  Two example where it would
make sense of *not* respecting the browser preferred language :

- User is abroad and checking is email in an Internet cafe, where the
  browser is configured for the local language;

- User is non-anglophone, but use an English version of Windows (thus
  IE) or Mozilla.  This is quite common in my experience.  I know he can
  change the preferred language in the browser preference,  but this is
  too much to ask of typical user.

Language auto-negociation may be desirable if you are expecting your
audience to be linguistically diverse (ie a commercial webmail service)
but most of the time this is not the case (ie an entreprise, a school,
etc).

Personnally, I never liked language auto-negociation.  I feel it make
the Web server take decision in my place.  I prefer to explicitely
choose the language in which I want the site displayed myself, but
that's just me.

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com